September 22, 2017 (Fonda, NY) – King Of Dirt Racing rolled into Fonda Speedway for the season finale in both the Small Block Modified and DIRTcar East Region divisions. When the dust settled Bobby Varin claimed his second consecutive tour victory and Rocky Warner captured his fifth of the season. Marc Johnson secured the Small Block Series title, while Rocky Warner earned the KOD/DIRTcar East championship.
Jessey Mueller and Matt DeLorenzo led the field to the green flag, with Mueller taking the early race lead. With DeLorenzo in the runner up spot a battle shaped up with Elmo Reckner, Jeremy Wilder, and Bobby Varin inside the top five.
Just behind them Mike Maresca and Josh Hohenforst raced side-by-side, with Jeff Rockefeller and championship point leader Marc Johnson having a their own door-to-door slugfest. Allision Ricci, Brian Gleason, and Mike Mahaney were all racing hot and heavy for position inside the top 10.
Tough break on lap nine for Matt DeLorenzo who had the front end bent after contact with an infield tire in turn three. On the following restart Mueller went back to the lead, but Varin was pressuring. Reckner made a move on the high side to take the third position from Wilder as they battled.
On lap 21 Bobby Varin used a high side move on Mueller in traffic to take the top spot, but the race was far from over. Wilder began closing in on Mueller, while Maresca was closing in on both. Mike Mahaney had worked his way up to sixth, with Marc Johnson working his way up to seventh from his 12th place starting position.
With only a few laps remaining Wilder suffered a flat right rear tire, Maresca worked his way into the runner up spot and appeared to be closing in on the front running Varin, but time was running out. Varin would finish strong picking up the KOD Small Block Modified win followed by Mike Maresca, Jessey Mueller, Elmo Reckner, and Mike Mahaney rounding out the top five. Marc Johnson secured the series championship with a solid sixth place finish.
“We had a really good car. Alton and Carole gave me really good equipment. It took a little bit to get this kind of momentum going. The last eight days have been phenomenal,” said Bobby Varin after claiming his second consecutive win on the KOD tour.
- 25 drivers signed in for the King Of Dirt Racing Small Block Modified Series at Fonda Speedway.
- Tough break right away in hot laps for Brett Hearn, as he lost an engine, which was reportedly one for Super Dirt Week at Oswego.
- Bobby Varin has won two consecutive Small Block tour races (Albany Saratoga, Fonda).
- Mike Maresca is a fun personality that can get the job done and he ran part time on tour in 2017 finishing second at Fonda Friday night.
- Jessey Mueller put together another solid run finishing third capping off a season in which he earned second place in points.
- Elmo Reckner has had one of those seasons he’d like to forget, however Friday night at Fonda he had his best tour finish to date with a solid fourth place run.
- Mike Mahaney has been one to recon with in his W16 Small Block each time he’s raced KOD in 2017 and he earned a top five finish at Fonda to his credit.
- Allison Ricci has been a treat on tour in 2017 with a positive attitude and earned an eighth place finish at a track she’d never raced at before.
- Rocky Warner continues to impress in the Small Block Modifieds with another top 10 finish.
- Last but not least Marc Johnson earned the 2017 King Of Dirt Racing Small Block Modified crown with a sixth place finish.
SEPTEMBER 22, 2017 ELMO’S SPEED SUPPLY KING OF DIRT RACING SMALL BLOCK MODIFIED SERIES SEASON FINALE PRESENTED BY HOOSIER RACING TIRE AT FONDA SPEEDWAY (40 Laps) – 1) Bobby Varin, 2) Mike Maresca, 3) Jessey Mueller, 4) Elmo Reckner, 5) Mike Mahaney, 6) Marc Johnson, 7) Josh Hohenforst, 8) Allison Ricci, 9) Rocky Warner, 10) Brian Gleason, 11) Jeff Rockefeller, 12) Shaun Pangman, 13) Jack Lehner, 14) Demetrios Drellos, 15) Jason Herrington, 16) Neil Stratton, 17) Michael Sabia, 18) Vinny Sangenetti, 19) Ricky Davis III, 20) Jeremy Wilder, 21) Sean Mandel, 22) Matt DeLorenzo, 23) Tony Pepicelli, 24) Erik Nelson, 25) Brett Hearn.
Heat Race Winners – Jessey Mueller, Marc Johnson, & Matt DeLorenzo.
Lap Leaders – Jessey Mueller (1-19), Bobby Varin (20-35).
Hard Charger – Mike Maresca (+7)
Fast Axle Superior Sixth – Marc Johnson ($50 Certificate)
J-Tees Fast Timer – Jeremy Wilder (19.374)
Newcomer Of The Race – Jessey Mueller (3rd)
2017 King Of Dirt Racing Small Block Modified Champion – Marc Johnson
For more information on the King Of Dirt Racing Series visit on the web at http://www.kingofdirtracing.com.
You can also find King Of Dirt via Twitter @kodracingseries or @kodracing.
Look for KOD also on Instagram @kingofdirtracing or on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/kingofdirtracing.
Follow King Of Dirt Racing Series happenings via Instagram @kingofdirtracing.
For more information on DIRTcar Racing visit http://www.dirtcar.com.
KING OF DIRT RACING is brought to you in part by sponsors and partners that include: Albany-Saratoga Speedway, Devil’s Bowl Speedway, Fonda Speedway, Lebanon Valley Speedway, Utica Rome Speedway, 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, A-1 Installers, Adirondac Leather, Andy’s Speed Shop, Beyea Custom Headers & Exhaust, Bicknell Racing Products, Bill McGaffin Photography, Bruno’s Towing & Recovery, Buff’s Auto Service, Burt’s Tree Service, Central NY Motorsports, Dean’s Electrical Service, Dirt Track Digest, DKM Fabrication, DMC Racing Products, Dodson Construction, Electric City Taxi, Elmo’s Auto Body, Elmo’s Speed Supply, Extreme Speed & Performance, Fast Axle, Fastline Performance, Flach Performance Products, Fox Racing Shocks, HICO Fabrication, Herrington Farms Inc., Hoosier Racing Tire, J-Tees Screen Printing, Lazzaro’s Auto Body, Macedon Parts Plus, Mayhem Motorsports, Moore 2 Music Entertainment, Mueller & Sons Towing/Recovery, NAPA Auto Parts Of Gloversville/Johnstown, Next Generation Roofing, PFC Brakes, R3 Graphics, Race Pro Weekly, Racers Guide, Redline Graphics, Roosevelt’s, Saratoga Masonry, Simplicity Designs, Speed’s Garage, Stone Motorsports.