May 27, 2019 (Fair Haven, VT) – Bobby Hackel survived a wild night at Devil’s Bowl Speedway to win the A-Verdi Storage & Office Solutions “Memorial Day Kickoff” on Sunday, May 26, and open the 2019 racing season for both the Vermont speedway and the King of Dirt Racing (KOD) Crate Modified Series. Hackel topped a jam-packed, six-division card that included feature winners Lacey Hanson, Mike Ryan, Bill Duprey, Shawn Moquin, and Shawn McPhee.
Hackel had one of the best cars among a 42-car KOD entry list throughout the event, and the former Devil’s Bowl Speedway track champion paced most of the 50-lap feature race, but he had anything but an easy stroll to the win. Several restarts kept Hackel honest all race long, and veteran driver Tim LaDuc even took the lead on two occasions, but Rensselaer, N.Y.’s Hackel was able to distance himself in the final 10 laps for the win.
LaDuc was engaged in an entertaining battle for the runner-up finish with Kenny Tremont Jr. when his engine exploded in the final corner coming to the checkered flag. Tremont and Adam Pierson made evasive moves to avoid LaDuc’s slowing car, and finished second and third, respectively. Brian Calabrese hung around the top five all night and ended up in fourth place, with Elmo Reckner making a surprise run in fifth place behind the wheel of Larry Gallipo’s Limited Sportsman car.
Billy Lussier finished sixth ahead of a sensational performance by rookie Brent Warren. Vince Quenneville was eighth, followed by Jason McClatchie – the last driver on the lead lap. LaDuc, whose car came to a rest in Turn 4 just 100 yards from the checkered flag, was scored 10th.
Hackel’s win, including a $250 bonus from Andy’s Speed Shop, was worth $2,000. Elmo’s Speed & Supply heat winners were Cody Ochs, LaDuc, Connor Cleveland, Tony Ballestero, and Hackel. Hector Stratton and Walter J. Hammond won the consolation races.
The King of Dirt Racing Crate Modified Series has sponsorship support in 2019 from Elmo’s Speed & Supply, Fastline Performance, Andy’s Speed Shop, Bicknell Racing Products, Hoosier Racing Tire, Beyea Custom Headers, Flach Performance Products, Sunoco Race Fuels, and New England Racing Fuel.
The King of Dirt Racing Series is online at http://www.KingofDirtRacing.com and can also be found via social media on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. For more information, call Mike Bruno at (802) 236-9141. For sponsorship opportunities, contact KOD Media/Marketing Director Justin St. Louis at (802) 355-3282, or email email@example.com.
A-Verdi Storage & Office Containers “Memorial Day Kickoff” King of Dirt Racing Crate Modified Series Feature (50 laps) Sunday, May 26, 2019
1. (4) Bobby Hackel, Rensselaer, N.Y.
2. (16) Kenny Tremont Jr., West Sand Lake, N.Y.
3. (13) Adam Pierson, East Corinth, Vt.
4. (2) Brian Calabrese, Johnstown, N.Y.
5. (3) Elmo Reckner, Ballston Lake, N.Y.
6. (17) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, Vt.
7. (24) Brent Warren, Salisbury, Vt.
8. (7) Vince Quenneville Jr., Brandon, Vt.
9. (18) Jason McClatchie, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
10. (6) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
11. (8) Cody Ochs, East Greenbush, N.Y.
12. (1) Connor Cleveland, Corinth, N.Y.
13. (21) Hector Stratton, Bennington, Vt.
14. (14) James Fadden, Plainfield, N.H.
15. (19) Justin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
16. (10) Walt Hammond Jr., Canaan, N.H.
17. (15) Michael Wagner-Fitzgerald, Gansevoort, N.Y.
18. (9) Allan Hammond, Orange, N.H.
19. (22) Walter J. Hammond, Canaan, N.H.
20. (29) Chad Edwards, Mayfield, N.Y.
21. (5) Tony Ballestero, Ballston Spa, N.Y.
22. (11) Joey Roberts, Fletcher, Vt.
23. (12) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, Vt.
24. (25) Jimmy Ryan, Shoreham, Vt.
25. (27) Joey Scarborough, Brandon, Vt.
26. (26) Frank Hoard III, Manchester Center, Vt.
27. (23) Travis Billington, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
28. (28) Mike Palmer, Salisbury, Vt.
29. (30) Josh Sunn, White River Junction, Vt.
30. (20) Alex Bell, Cambridge, N.Y.
Did Not Qualify: Jeff Washburn, Wayne Stearns, Griffin Mansmith, Mike Fisher, Bucko Branham, Tanner Siemons, Jesse Durkee, Ron Proctor, Marty Kelly III, Bruce Loomis, Brian Whittemore, John St. Germain
Elmo’s Speed & Supply Heat Winners: Cody Ochs, Tim LaDuc, Connor Cleveland, Tony Ballestero, Bobby Hackel
Consi Winners: Hector Stratton, Walter J. Hammond
Andy’s Speed Shop Bounty: Bobby Hackel
Hoosier Racing Tire Awards: Kenny Tremont Jr., Adam Pierson
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Brent Warren (+17 positions)
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Justin Comes