August 11, 2019 (Devil’s Bowl Speedway) – Kenny Tremont Jr. was a busy man Sunday night, as he also competed in the 40-lap “Leon Gonyo Memorial” race for the King of Dirt Racing Crate Modified Series. The West Sand Lake, N.Y. driver dominated the box score of the race, but his victory was never certain until the checkered flag waved.
Joey Scarborough had a stout drive from the 10th starting position and engaged Tremont in a thrilling battle until the final corner. Scarborough pulled even with Tremont with two laps to go before being trapped in lapped traffic and having to settle for the runner-up finish. The win was Tremont’s sixth in 11 Crate Sportsman races at Devil’s Bowl in 2019.
Kale Groff made it two podium finishes in two Devil’s Bowl appearances in 2019, finishing third. Vince Quenneville scored his first top-five finish of the season in fourth place and Robert Bublak Jr. finished fifth in his first Devil’s Bowl start of the season.
Limited Sportsman regular Adam Piper turned heads in his first attempt to qualify for a top-level Sportsman race, by leading the first four laps and holding on to a sixth-place finish. Frank Hoard III took seventh ahead of Tony Ballestero, Marty Kelly III, and rookie Joey Roberts. A massive pileup on lap 17 eliminated seven drivers from the race, though no injuries were reported.
By virtue of another solid finish, Vince Quenneville has taken over the Andy’s Speed Shop King Of Dirt Racing Crate Modified Series point lead by a slim margin. Full points can be found on the points page at http://www.kingofdirtracing.com.
King of Dirt Racing Crate Modified Series “Leon Gonyo Memorial” Feature (40 laps)
1. (3) Kenny Tremont Jr., West Sand Lake, N.Y.
2. (10) Joey Scarborough, Brandon, Vt.
3. (8) Kale Groff, Troy, N.Y.
4. (12) Vince Quenneville, Brandon, Vt.
5. (18) Robert Bublak Jr., Ballston Spa, N.Y.
6. (2) Adam Piper, Leicester, Vt.
7. (4) Frank Hoard III, Manchester Center, Vt.
8. (14) Tony Ballestero, Ballston Spa, N.Y.
9. (19) Marty Kelly III, North Bennington, Vt.
10. (1) # Joey Roberts, Fletcher, Vt.
11. (11) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, Vt.
12. (24) Justin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
13. (25) Walter J. Hammond, Canaan, N.H.
14. (30) Adam Pierson, East Corinth, Vt.
15. (13) Mike Fisher, Castleton, Vt.
16. (9) Josh Sunn, White River Junction, Vt.
17. (20) Tanner Siemons, Orford, N.H.
18. (16) Bobby Hackel, Rensselaer, N.Y.
19. (28) Allan Hammond, Orange, N.H.
20. (5) Mike Palmer, Salisbury, Vt.
21. (15) Ron Proctor, Charlton, N.Y.
22. (7) Brian Calabrese, Johnstown, N.Y.
23. (6) Dylan Rabtoy, Swanton, Vt.
24. (17) # Michael Wagner-Fitzgerald, Gansevoort, N.Y.
25. (26) Cody Ochs, East Greenbush, N.Y.
26. (21) Elmo Reckner, Ballston Lake, N.Y.
27. (23) Walt Hammond Jr., Canaan, N.H.
28. (27) # Brent Warren, Salisbury, Vt.
29. (22) Jimmy Ryan, Shoreham, Vt.
30. (29) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
Did Not Qualify: Wayne Stearns, Jeff Washburn, Brian Whittemore, Whitey Slavin, James Fadden, Jack Speshock, Connor Cleveland
Heat Winners: Mike Palmer, Joey Scarborough, Frank Hoard III, Dylan Rabtoy
Consi Winner: Walter J. Hammond
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Adam Pierson (+16 positions)
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Brent Warren
AMSOIL Award: Kenny Tremont Jr.